- Challenge Information
Mt Elbrus Challenge - July 2022
Working with The British Expedition Company, Life Changing Challenges are now able to offer this amazing Trek!!
The stunning Caucasus mountain range forms a chain of high, alpine mountains separating Georgia from Russia. Elbrus forms part of this range and is the highest peak in Europe at 5642m of snow and rock. At the start of the trip you fly from London Heathrow via Moscow and on to Mineralnye Vody - the nearest city to the Baksan Valley. A 3 hour drive will then take you to the hotel in Terskol with panoramic views of the mountains. From the hotel you will undertake 3 separate day walk expedition in the local mountains with hotel overnight accommodation in between. This enables you to enjoy beautiful forested valleys, alpine meadows and glaciated mountain passes. This also helps you to acclimatise and gain experience in using an ice axe and crampons on some of the easiest slopes, while experiencing superb panoramas of the Caucasus mountain range. For the ascent of Elbrus itself we take the cable car system to the Garabashi Huts at 3800m. Here you will spend a couple of days relaxing and walking part of the way for acclimatisation before ascending the peak at night. If the weather conditions are unsuitable on the first night this trip is flexible enough to give you a second opportunity to reach the summit on the following night. After the ascent of Elbrus is complete you will use the cable car system to return to the hotel. The next full day is for resting and relaxing and the following day you will fly back to UK.
Mt Elbrus is the highest mountain in Europe; it stands 5642m above the Baksan Valley in the Caucasus mountain chain. For this expedition no advanced mountaineering experience is required. It is a winter trek in glaciated mountains achievable by anyone who is reasonably fit.
Date: 13th - 23rd July 2023
1. Arrive at London Heathrow at 7:45pm for check in and take off at 22:45
2. Arrive in Mineralnye Vody at 16:05, on the plains north of the Caucasus. Drive to hotel (about 3,5 hours) in Baksan Valley near Elbrus at the altitude of 2100m.
3. Acclimatisation walk in the Terskol Valley up to the Observatory, 3100m, ca. 6hrs walking up, providing very close and magnificent view of Mt. Elbrus. On the way we pass the wonderful waterfall, called “The virgin’s hair”. Return back to the hotel.
4. Walk to the Mount Cheget spur up to 3100m - a magnificent view point over Elbrus. About 7 hours walking up. Return to the hotel.
5. Transfer to Terskol, climb the Ice Base, 3550m, descent to Terskol.Transfer to hotel.
6. We take the cable car up to the Mir station, 3500m, then the chair lift up to Garabashi station, 3800m. Accommodation in the Barrels hut. Acclimatisation walk to the Priut hut at 4100m, Overnight in the Barrels hut.
7. Acclimatisation walk to Pastukhova Rocks up to 4700m. 4 hours walking up. Return to the hut.
8. Summit day. We begin in the early morning hours to ascend the highest of Elbrus' twin peaks - the West Summit. You carry your day pack with the day's requirements. Optionally you can use a snowcat up to 4650m.We return to spend the night at the hut.
9. Spare day to attempt Elbrus if the weather on the previous day was bad. Overnight in the hut.
10. Return to the hotel and relax.
11. Drive to the airport in Mineralnye Vody for the flight home. Take off at 11:25 and land back in the UK at 16:50.
Numbers: Due to the nature of this trip a maximum number of 12 can participate. The group will be decided on a first come - first served basis… so get your deposits in early to secure your space.
Costs and payment structure
For our 2023 trips we are offering the self funded option.
The cost of the trip is £2395 and is all-inclusive (except insurance, tourist VISA and kit hire). This includes all flights, accommodation (hotels, huts and camps), all food on the expedition, breakfast and dinner in the hotel, transfers, National park permits, guides, cooks and porters. There is a £250 trip deposit (non-refundable) to book your place and the remaining balance is paid in small instalments.
There is a £250 trip deposit (non-refundable) to book your place, payable to Life Changing Challenges and the remaining balance is paid in instalments to The British Expedition Company.
The trip payments are structured into manageable instalments so that the full amount doesn’t come as too much of a shock. There is flexibility on these payment dates if arranged in advanced so you can pay larger amounts but less often or we can tailor a payment structure to suit you.
How to reserve your place on the trip
To book a place on the trip simply pay deposit online.
On advancement of deposit for a booking on any of our trips or expeditions the deposit acknowledges that he/she has read and understands the booking conditions and agrees to be bound by them.
- What's Included
All our expeditions are ‘all inclusive’ this means that the cost covers all the accommodation, flights, transfers, guides, porters and cooks, group equipment + all food throughout your expedition and Breakfast and Dinner in the hotel. The price also covers the training weekend in the Forest of Dean. The only costs not included are travel insurance, tips, lunch and drinks.